Saturday, September 29, 2012

Pete the Cat Week and A Tree Named Steve

So I've jumped on the Pete the Cat bandwagon... I love using stories that are predictable and fun for my students.  We of course made Pete the Cat out of construction paper and wrote, "I love my _____ shoes."  They out cute, but I didn't plan for how LONG it was going to take and my tables are so small that they would cut something out and it would be mixed into their friend's pile of ears, legs, and shoes.  (sigh) I will have to think more ahead next year. haha  After all is said and done, those Pete the Cats are the cutest things ever!

I read the Pete the Cat stories, but had never listened to the songs.  If you haven't then you SHOULD. They are AWESOME! My Four Groovy Buttons is stuck in my head right now. haha
Here is the website:
http://www.harpercollinschildrens.com/feature/petethecat/

Go buy the books!

I downloaded a Pete the Cat lesson plan pack from TpT. It was awesome although I think it was meant for first grade.  The children did well with it.  I used the "Groovy" word game with my advanced group who are able to begin blending.  They caught right on.


The Groovy Cat




This is us collecting data at the end of the week.  I first modeled it and then set them FREE! They were able to go around the room and color in their friends choice of favorite Pete the Cat book.  I told them that I was setting the timer and that they had to be at their set with their pencil down when the timer went off.  They also had to collect data from their table friends first.  I was jumping for joy seeing them move around the room, right on task!


I made felt pieces for Pete I Love My White Shoes.  I changed the shoes when he stepped in the different things in the story.  I put the pieces in a bag and placed the book and the pieces in my felt board center so they can retell the story to themselves. 
The thing I love about predictable texts is that the children can read the "pictures" and remember how to retell the story.  We discussed this at the beginning of year when started the Daily 5.  I let children who are willing and most are :), to come up and read the stories to the rest of the class.  The class reads some parts with the reader "goodness, no!" I noticed that the reader pauses to let the class answer, just like I do! 
FYI Sorry the picture is blurry, I try to cover my student's faces. 

We also read the story A Tree Named Steve.  It is a sad one! I like reading these types of books sometimes because it has the children talking about feelings and it teaches them how to write a letter.  We have been doing a morning message each morning.  They recognized that the story was written as a message.

TpT Free Worksheet:
A Tree Named Steve

5 comments :

  1. Okay, the Tree Named Steve worksheet. I messed up and said free on here and not on TpT. It is free! I fixed it. Sorry :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So excited to find your blog! Buggy in Kindergarten gave you a shout out!
    Michelle
    mcoop1125@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI!! I am so glad I found your blog!! I would love to have you stop by mine sometime. I teach K too!

    April
    Wolfelicious

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome! Thanks for visiting! I will definitely check out your blogs as well. It is so awesome that we can all share ideas! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Savannah- Your blog is ADORABLE!!!! And I love your felt pieces! Why have I NOT thought of that?! You need to make a post on all the books you have made felt characters for so I can get some more ideas! =) Maybe we can get our our Zumba K-friends together one weekend and make some! Just an idea... =)
    Welcome to the blogging world! I can't wait to see more of your ideas! Keep em coming! =)
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete