Friday, September 21, 2012

Arrgh you ready to see my classroom?

Our theme is pirates this year!  Last year I did a unit on it and the children LOVED it.  I thought about how many traits of building character I could draw from this...besides looting and plundering.  We are a crew and we all play our roles and have our important jobs.  I like that!  We all have a goal to get the gold! In my classroom the gold is learning! 

Bless my heart, I made my own curtains.  Welcome to Miss Cox's Crew!


Welcome to room 9!  This is the password (sight word) they have to whisper before entering the classroom everytime we enter. Yes, it does take  a little more time but it enforces those words!

Make sure and sign in!   We started this from day one.  I can watch their writing enhance over the corse of the year.  I even started signing my name in a pattern of two colors and asking the children to sign like me.  Throw a few extra skills in there...

Cubbies
Cute pirate themed books!

This is my closet door! I had too much time on my hands to make this sign, not sure how that happened. :)

Everyday they have to "flip" their fish to swimming.  I am going to try a daily graph question now that they're more into the school groove. 
This is my small group reading table.  I got the reading strategy signs from an awesome kindergarten blog:  Under the Alphabet Tree

Math buckets with blocks on the bottom.  We are still able to have "play centers", but I call them discovery centers. 

Math centers! We incoroparte the rules of Daily 5 of how we work in our math stations as well! Stay in one spot, work quietly, work the whole time, etc.

This is our classroom library.  The children love it with the twinkling lights and the soft pillows... and don't forget the tent.   We our a Daily 5 classroom, so they get to read to self in the tent. 

These are special books that  are leveled.  Once they start learning to read more they will be able to pick their color book in the correct basket.  They range from ABC books to easy readers.  I got the basket from TJ Max because it had one broken wheel.  I secured it to the side of another bookshelf.

My calendar is very BUSY, but I like to have everything we need ready at all times.  I tend to lose things so I like to keep it where I'll  need it.  :)  I have drawers labled, calendar math that I use at math time, literacy & phonics materials, and attention getters.  I have that filled with a flashlight, microphone, and Mr. Bean (a beanbag with a face on it). 

How we go home, pirate themed! I got this off of pinterest where I spent most of my time this summer, I sound like I'm talking about an exactual place.  Pinterest world! lol 

There are more pics to come... 

No comments :

Post a Comment