Sunday, September 16, 2012

Chicka Chicka Boom Boom Fun

There isn't kindergarten without Chicka Chicka Boom Boom!

We read the story over and over throughout the week. By the end of the week all the children could "read" the story with me.

Activities:

Watched the Chicka Chicka Boom Boom Video
My kiddos really got down!

Chicka Chicka Boom Boom Song- Schooltube

Coconuts Math!
I bought a coconut from the local grocery store. First, we sat in a circle and passed around the coconut. We used our five senses to describe the coconut. The kiddos got a good laugh when I brought up tasting it! They told me to wait until we opened it! haha We shook the coconut and could hear the milk inside.
We also used coconuts to describe light and heavy. I let them hold and apple and coconut. Which is heavier? Which is lighter? Why?
We made a bubble map to describe coconuts.
We used a banana, beach ball, and a coconut to see which objects sink or float. Check out my free worksheet on TPT.
The Great Coconut Investigation

The Great Coconut InvestigationThe final math activity was to open up the coconut and then tastes foods made with coconut.


I got some newspaper, hammer, a bowl (for drainage). With one smack, the coconut opened up and this is what I heard "OOOhhh!" They were so excited!

We tasted shredded coconut, coconut milk, Mounds bar, etc.
We were split 50/50 on who liked and who did not. We graphed it by using colored post-it notes on large bulletin board paper.




No comments :

Post a Comment